What is a comic-con and why is it such fun?
Initially comic-cons used to be events focusing on comic books and comic book culture, however, nowadays comic-cons cover a multi-genre entertainment such as films, TV and gaming and have made being ‘geeky’ cool. A comic-con is a brief escape from reality where pop culture, ie sci-fi, superheroes, zombies, fantasy, etc., can be experienced all in one room. You can meet guests from the world of film and TV as well as seeing attractions to admire and interact with. There are geeky traders selling everything from art to collectables, items that you simply will not be able to find on the high street. People of all ages can come along in costume, maybe of their favourite film or comic book character, as it is opportunity to show off your geeky side. Unleashed Events host nationwide comic-cons and we just get bigger and better every year!
- Stay hydrated. Hydration is important as inside the convention centre it can often get very warm, very quickly. Pack plenty of water or be sure to know where to source some on the day.
- Comfy shoes. Remember you will be on your feet for most of the day, your comfort is important.
- Dress in layers. You may start the day cold but ensuring you can lose layers as you warm up will help!
- Set a budget.
- Take your time and look around before deciding what to buy so you don't regret it later when you see something you didn't budget for!
- You may be excited but get as much sleep as you can the day before, comic-cons can be tiring.
- Take cash. Not all traders will take card, cash is always best.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged so you can contact your friends if you get separated.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get there and back in case of issues.
- Have a guest you want too meet or a photograph session booked? Make sure you know where they are in plenty of time so you don't miss out!
- If theres an itinerary of the day available, grab one or take a photo. Planning is key.
- Deorderant/ anti-persperant. Again, it can get very warm and sweaty at comic-cons, make sure to be prepared for that. Hygiene is important!
- Ask cosplayers before taking photographs it is only polite.
- Take a camera/ camera phone, trust us there will be plenty of oppourtunites to use them.
- Be polite. Manners cost nothing.
- Respect eachother. Respect boundaries. Respect peoples choice of outfit.
- If your costume is skin tight consider dance pants or a cup.
- Bring a change of t-shirt if you are costuming so you can travel home comfortably.
- Plan where you can get changed into costume, not everywhere will offer changing facilities.
- Bring a backpack to carry all your stuff. More often that not there will not be a cloakroom.
- Clean up and bin your rubbish, it's only polite.
- Don't bring leaflets to hand out for someone else's event, check with the organisers first.
- If you want to enter the cosplay competition, sign up to that first, then enjoy the rest of your day.
- Be prepared to queue. Photo ops, guest signings, attractions, all these can come with queues, so make sure to be prepared and wear comfy shoes.
Remember it is okay to be yourself, be the individual that stands out in the crowd. Comic-cons are for everyone and are all inclusive. Do what makes you comfortable.